Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hit by rc airplane propeller Part:2

Two months later, I got back from work and tried to check before flying incoming weekend. So then the story was started. I checked all parts like every time I did before start up engine. It was nothing changed like every routine checking. I took it far away behind the village due to its loud noise of the engine. I handled it alone without any assistance. Just want to warm up and set up the engine. I locked the air plane with flexi rope to my truck.

The airplane was pulled with flexible rope
I checked every thing again before rotating the propeller in order to start engine. I started rotation the propeller counter clockwise like every time I did. The engine started so quickly (just one time). Suddenly I saw the spinner and the air plane move heading to me so fast. The panic and body protection instinct my hand tried to push at the axis of the spinner like a reflect action. I feel my hand was hit by the propeller. I pulled out very quickly. After that the engine stopped before heading to my body, how so luckily! I took off the glove and checked my right hand finger tip. It started bleeding and I felt I was not able to control my finger.

I don't want to show this scary picture just for your realize for safety 
I tried to call for help because I couldn't drive the truck. The neighbor took me to my house then my family took me to hospital.

The x-rays show the big injury at middle and index finger, they were fracture. 
I had to cover with splint until the bone will be jointed and recovered. Doctor said it would take around 3-4 months. Imagine how difficult I work with incomplete fingers. Event has long experience with rc airplane, but the accident can happen any time if we careless and not awareness for safety.

Disability fingers
This accident taught me
  • Do not operate the engine alone if you don't have assistance or expertise nearby.
  • If you don't have assistance help you to hold the airplane, the locking equipments need a rigid and strong enough. The flexible will not  be safe.
  • Try to use the motor start instead of hand rotation.
  • Study and follow the engine manual clearly. It will give you how to operate properly and safely.
  • Conciseness and don't careless every time you operate the engine and stay with your rc airplane
  • Realize the safety every time playing rc airplane 

No comments:

Post a Comment